Tuesday 7 May 2013

Figure: Non-human anatomy


Luckily my cat stayed in this position for long enough for me to get the basic shape and shading down, it's like she knew!
This "pose" has some evidence of foreshortening with the right hind leg as it moves back to lay under the front leg, which adds slightly to the depth of the drawing created by the directional shading based on the direction of the fur. The proportions look pretty accurate to me apart from the front leg that is sticking out between the head and tail, which appears slightly too wide.
I made sure that the shading wasn't soft, so that I could emphasize the direction of the fur. This directional shading adds quite a lot to this because it helps to make the cat appear more round and less flat, especially the curved shading round the gluteals.
Since this cat is very patchy with many different hues of fur, I increased/decreased the pressure of the pencil to achieve the tonal variation you can see.
She doesn't actually have black whiskers, just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment